View My Stats

Who Said Golf Was An Easy Game?

2006 is hopefully to be the year for me. My aim (as was last year) is to become a professional golfer this year and to document the journey, trials and tribulations! I hope this may prove useful to anyone going through similar experiences to me. Of course, my unique perspective on other things will manifest itself throughout too. Happy reading......

Monday, July 10, 2006

One more amateur event........

Hello again loyal readers.

Would love to report some good news on how I did in the Mid Sussex Club Championship but unfortunately it was a disaster. I had more hits than 'The Beatles' so would prefer not to elaborate on what was a rubbish day for me. All I'll say is that my gameplan was to attack and win (not come second or third, just win!) and it completely backfired. Whoopsey, nevermind its not a big deal. I knew there was a chance of it happening if I was to play aggressively all day.

Sam unfortunately didnt get through to Open Qualifying stage. He did very well though and really could have had a great chance if could get his short game together. Considering he started with 5 straight bogeys and then battled back with 3 birdies, he put a great run together at doing something good until a bit of bunkering misery put paid to his chances, finally shooting 78 (+7) and missing it by a few shots. Never mind bro, there's always next year. Hope we can both do it.
I really enjoyed going to the Open Qualifying event. It was my first sight of how these big tournaments are run and there were loads of spectators. I've got to be honest, although I wished I was playing in it, I'm relieved I wasn't as I would have 'bricked it'. I'm nowhere near ready for playing in anything like that!

It's getting frustrating for me right now. With the exception of the day I passed my test, I have been playing pretty crap for about a month for some reason. At least I pulled it together on the day that mattered most. It's been a while since my last lesson but thankfully I have one coming up this week. I can't wait for this. The guy I go to said he really wanted me to get through my test before we start working on proper stuff and all he was trying to do was sort my game out to test standard which, fair play, he did. I can't wait to tell him I got through. However, it's a totally different ball game trying to compete with professionals and I know I've got a lot of very hard work to do! All facets of my game are going to have to improve 200%. I can't wait to find out exactly what i'm going to be working on this friday. It'll give me some renewed focus and motivation. I know that this winter, I'll be working harder on everything than I ever have done in my life as there are things I want to attempt next year, such as getting on the Europro Tour and going to Open Qualifying etc as well as qualifying for the bigger events locally.

I have been putting together a stats page on Microsoft Excel for myself. It's really coming along and I'm very chuffed with it. I'm hoping that maybe one day I might make some money out of it but I need to improve my knowledge of excel to make it a really quality finished product. Watch this space. Perhaps I'll be able to download an example onto here if I figure out how.

I still dont have my fees together for my course yet but am hoping to know more in the next couple of days with any luck. All of my contracts and forms etc are filled in and ready to go. I even got a haircut for my passport photo which will go on my PGA card. The PGA card is probably the biggest perk of turning pro as it entitles you to free golf ANYWHERE (with the exceptions of posh places like Wentworth West, Augusta and the other hugely prestigous places). Other perks include:
-free entry to all PGA and European Tour events!
- some sort of car dealership with Peugeot (not sure the specifics of this)
- I can begin to teach and earn dosh (although I'm not sure exactly what the procedure of this part is)

As you can see, this is gonna be cool. I'll be proud of the fact that I can announce myself as a 'Professional Golfer' but I know I've got a lot of work to do for my actual golf to back up my status. I just want to get rid of my amateur status now. I've got the Hollingbury Pro-Am this week with Sam as our pro and this will be my last amateur event. It's fitting thatmy final shot in competition as an amateur will be at the place I grew up and learned golf. I was I a member there for 11 years.

Thats about all I have to report right now.

Stay tuned

1 Comments:

Blogger EFu said...

Hey Lewis, if you haven't figured out how to display an Excel spread sheet yet, drop me a line. I'm an IT pro here in the States.

EFu

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home