View My Stats

Who Said Golf Was An Easy Game?

2006 is hopefully to be the year for me. My aim (as was last year) is to become a professional golfer this year and to document the journey, trials and tribulations! I hope this may prove useful to anyone going through similar experiences to me. Of course, my unique perspective on other things will manifest itself throughout too. Happy reading......

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Sussex Pro's Championship....

Hey folks. I played the Sussex Professional's Championship this week at West Hove and very nearly put in a great performance.

I played very solidly in the first round. I putted well and recovered well from trouble (quite a few times as my long game was 'loose' to say the least. I chipped in for birdie at the last green for a round of 71 (+1) which saw me make the cut by 3 shots! I was thrilled with myself. I think its a pretty good effort to make the cut in my first Pro tournament that has a cut. A 100% record you might say. This was the best I had felt about my golf game for a long time and precisely what I needed for my confidence. My bro Sam, made the cut too so we were both happy.

I returned on the 2nd day just trying to have a solid performance and round the tournament off nicely. I would have been happy to shoot somewhere around the mid 70's area.
To be honest, it was a VERY nervy start, dropping 3 shots in my first 6 holes. However, I rallied well and continued to battle as my long game was very average once again and on the 14th tee I was +3 for the round and therefore +4 for the tournament. If I had parred in from here, I'm sure I would have finished somewhere around 15th spot and would have won maybe about £200 which would have been sweet! However, I suffered one of my now trademark (from playing tests) collapses and stupidly threw 7 shots away over my last 5 holes for a humbling round of 80. I'll be totally honest, at that time and for the rest of the day (and still am slightly) I was absolutely livid with myself for throwing away such a good position. I felt that all that hard work I had put in to that point had been completely wasted. I am very critical of myself and it is only now that I am looking at the positives of the event (such as winning my 2nd paycheque in two events!) and what to learn moving on:

1/ Not only did I make the cut at my first attempt, I put myself into a great position overall,
2/ I have a fantastic ability to scramble when I am playing poorly from tee to green,
3/ This will stand me in good stead for future events as I know I can compete,
4/ My temporament needs reviewing again although it was perhaps poor decision making that cost me those shots on the last few holes. I do however need to 'lighten up' more on the course and learn to accept the situations that do not go my way in a more 'professional' way.
5/ Its all a learning curve so DONT FOCUS ON THE NEGATIVES! I am convinced that there is an art to being able to do this. Maybe it just comes with the experience.

I have one more tournament this year. It is the Sussex Open. This is a big event that is open to professionals and all amateurs in the county with a handicap of 5 or lower. Again, this an event with a cut after then first round so I will feel more confident about this part.

My build up to this tournament will include continual work on my swing (I have a lesson booked in this week) and a lot on work on my pitching and putting.

Thats all for now folks. Till next time.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home