View My Stats

Who Said Golf Was An Easy Game?

2006 is hopefully to be the year for me. My aim (as was last year) is to become a professional golfer this year and to document the journey, trials and tribulations! I hope this may prove useful to anyone going through similar experiences to me. Of course, my unique perspective on other things will manifest itself throughout too. Happy reading......

Monday, February 27, 2006

Kelly Clarkson (and my shot of the year)......

Obviously these two are not linked (lol).

Rach and I travelled down to Bournemouth at the weekend to see the first American Pop Idol, Kelly Clarkson in concert and I can certainly say we were not disappointed. I knew she was very talented anyway but to hear her sing live was superb. She sang probably every song from her second album including my favourite 'Since you've been gone' and two of the biggest highlights were 'beautiful disaster' which she sing without any backing music and a cover of 'Why' by the Eurythmics which she sing with just the aid of a guitar.
It was nice that there was a lot of interaction with the crowd and she seemed very down to earth and grounded, despite all the success she has had. I hope she comes back over here for another tour soon as I'd love to see her perform again.

As an aside, the support act were a band called 'The Faders' and they were very good indeed. Check them out.

Today I gave my first unofficial lesson. It was unofficial as I didn't charge (altho the chap did buy me lunch) but it was my first in terms of it being one of the Mid Sussex members approaching me formally for some help with their golf. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous beforehand. We decided to have a game of golf, I would observe him playing and then pass on my observations. Altho the tee time was 11.24 I was already there at 9am so I could have a bit of practise as I hadnt played for 2 weeks and did not want to play like a prat in front of him (thankfully I didnt).
The 'lesson' went very well I believe and he seemed very acknowledging of my suggestions. One thing I tried to do was explain all the reasons for the advice I gave, as I know this hasn't always been done with me in the past which can leave you a bit confused sometimes, not to mention less likely to take the advice!

On a personal touch I had my best shot certainly of this year, if not the past two or three years and it was very fitting that it happened to be the final shot of my round. Baring in mind I had made an eagle at the 16th and then three-putted for bogey at 17 to be stood on the 18th tee at +3 for my round, this was a sweet end to the round. The 18th is a 420 yard par 4. I slightly pushed my tee shot and it landed in a fairwar bunker (the one that always seems to get me, some 150ish yards from the hole. The shot was slightly into wind and also the ball wasn't lying particularly great so I knew I had to make a good contact to get to the green. I set up and hit it. The contact could honestly not have been any better. 'Shot' the guy I was playing with said and with a bounce about one foot past the hole, the ball proceded to hop and then spin back straight in to the hole for an eagle 2 and the first shot I have ever holed from a very bunker!! WOOHOO!!!!!
I shrieked like a little girl in excitement, it was so funny!!! After a high 5 from my playing partner and 'pupil', I could not resist say perhaps rather modestly 'so thats how you play a bunker shot from the fairway' - cue more hysterical laughter!!!

This was definitely a career highight today and the best part was that I know I have my first golfing 'customer'. Another date has been set and I look forward to it too.

Today has been a good day.........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home