View My Stats

Who Said Golf Was An Easy Game?

2006 is hopefully to be the year for me. My aim (as was last year) is to become a professional golfer this year and to document the journey, trials and tribulations! I hope this may prove useful to anyone going through similar experiences to me. Of course, my unique perspective on other things will manifest itself throughout too. Happy reading......

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Bloody weather!!!!!

I've got quite a few days off work at the moment so have declared to myself that from this week, my 2006 golfing season is officially underway. However, Mother Nature seems decidedly 'pissed off' with me because any attempt I have made to play in the last two weeks has result in being 'pissed on' by rain. Grrrrrr!!!!

My bro Sam and I are keen to get working on our golf games. For me, as far as i'm concerned I can't start preparing for my playing tests soon enough. For him, it's his first professional season and understandably he wants to have a good chance to prepare for it.

I should explain that there is a playing criteria that needs passing during the three years of PGA Diploma training. It's quite an ironic process too, as it contradicts all facets of being a professional golfer.
Basically you begin your three years with a 'handicap'! (funny because the main change when turning professional is that obviously relinquish your amateur status ie lose your handicap!)
The handicap you are given is 4.0 (cool, 2 extra shots for me when I get there!) and the idea is that you play a minimum of 7 tournaments per year. At the end of the three years, if you still have a handicap of 4 or better, you pass that element. If not, as far as I know, it will be 'assessed' by the PGA.

Wow, that's pressure! No wonder Sam is keen to start playing again. We've both had pretty hefty lay-off's over the winter. I almost feel it is a blessing in disguise to have an extra year now to prepare for this.

I should find out playing test dates in February. I know that my first test will be in May, and I have already decided for certain that I will go back to Bishops Stortford. I'm very much looking forward to it - quite different to my terrified attitude of last year! Looks like Father will be on the bag too again (providing I get him a pair of shoes that fit!) so happy days.

Right now, my form has plummeted but I am not really that worried. I am going through correcting some swing errors that have plagued me for some 6 or 7 years so it's only natural that my body is not responding as well as i'd like it too just yet. When it does, look out!!!!

That's it for today folks. Stay tuned..........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home