View My Stats

Who Said Golf Was An Easy Game?

2006 is hopefully to be the year for me. My aim (as was last year) is to become a professional golfer this year and to document the journey, trials and tribulations! I hope this may prove useful to anyone going through similar experiences to me. Of course, my unique perspective on other things will manifest itself throughout too. Happy reading......

Friday, February 03, 2006

Golf update and the great collapse........

Between periods of thick frost and bitterly cold weather, I have managed to keep a fairly consistent practise routine lately. I have not gone more than 2 days without playing or practising now for two weeks which is good. Just waiting for the sun to come out now!

I have been dedicating a lot of work on my short game, particularly my chipping. I created a very effective way of practising this by taking some balls and a tee and using this to work on discovering how my clubs vary in terms of carry and roll. I read somewhere that feedback is a very important of learning during practise and this seems to be a very good way of doing this.
My putting isnt particularly great but, it is slowly changing and improving. I have been reading the 'Dave Pelz Putting Bible' and day by day I am learning loads.

I haven't really been working on my swing much. This is because I have a lesson at Chichester next week and havent wanted to do too much on it till then. I havent had a lesson since November, so am very much looking forward to seeing where I am with my swing in terms of what i've been working on, and where to go in the future with it.

I found out dates for my playing test yesterday. I have a decision to make: Clandon Regis has a test on the 11th of May and Bishops Stortford has a test on the 22nd. I dont particularly want to play at Clandon but feel that it is still another opportunity. It has crossed my mind that I may try and apply for both tests, to make sure I get into both. I know this sounds negative but if i have to make a choice, I think i'll choose to go to Bishops Stortford and don't want to risk missing my chance to play there. We'll see - watch this space.

Now for the collapse story.
Today, I had to play a pairs match but as it turned out, my playing partner couldnt make it so I had to play 2 guys on my own (and give them a whole bunch of shots!!). I'll cut this story short..
On the front 9 I played the best nine holes I have played for about 3 years! I shot 31 (-4) and was 3 up and firmly in control. Then, with a combination of bad decisions and some just downright poor play combined with my opponents playing much better, I totally collapsed and came home in 43 (12 shots different!) for a 74 and a loss of the game by 2 holes!!!
Not really sure what happened there! Thats the crazy thing about golf - one minute things are great and the next minute I felt totally out of control of my swing and couldn't hit a good shot!
The only justification I have is that I tried some stuff out that i've been working on and as it turns out, I guess that I hadn't worked hard enough to get these things to a state I could rely on under any pressure. Hats off to the guys I played tho, they didnt let me away with anything and it was a fantastic match which I thoroughly enjoyed.
It's also nice to put up a good performance with two members I didn't really know. I am keen to be portrayed as a good player and my front nine holes in no way tarnished this.

Bit mystified by the way it fell apart today. This hasnt happened since the summer (guess when in the summer if u can!)

Bye for now......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home